Friday, October 26, 2012

Pet Sounds

For 'music night' this evening at The Wild Reed I share a song from the year of my birth: Petula Clark’s 1965 recording of “What Now, My Love?

The original French version of this song, "Et Maintenant" ("And Now") was written in 1961 by composer Gilbert Bécaud and lyricist Pierre Delanoë. English language lyrics and the title were written by Carl Sigman. Over the years the song has been recorded by many artists – Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Elvis Presley, Nana Mouskouri, Johnny Mathis, Judy Garland, Engelbert Humperdinck . . . the list goes on! But I think Petula Clark’s version definitely ranks up there with the very best. For one thing, the orchestration is rich and lush (with a swelling of strings at 2:55 that never fails to move me!) Plus, Petula gives a truly beautiful vocal performance.

I had this recording once on an LP – a Petula Clark “greatest hits” album that I got my parents to buy for me when I was in fifth grade. I’ve never been able to find this particular song on CD, however; so I'm glad, then, to have found it on YouTube. As you'll see, it’s accompanied by some great images of Pet through the years. Enjoy! . . .




. . . What now, my love,
now that it’s over?
I feel the world
closing in on me.

Here come the stars,
tumbling around me.
There’s the sky
where the sea should be.

What now, my love,
now that you’ve gone? . . .


Recommended Off-site Link:
Petula Clark's Official Website

See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Rockin' with Wanda
Ever Faithfull
Time of the Tigress
Two from Helen
“I've Been Changed, Yes, Really Changed . . .”
Dionne Warwick: “Being Human is What It's All About”
Scaling the Heights
“The Wonder You Bring . . .”
Remembering Dusty
The Empty Beach


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Michael, I never heard that version of this song. I think my favorite Petula Clark song was "I Know A Place" but I actually remember buying the 45 "Downtown" because my dad bought it for me in New York City on a short shopping trip. I also like "Don't Sleep in the Subway" and "The Cat in the Window." That is amazing that you were a Petula Clark fan in 5th Grade. Wow!

Mark

Anonymous said...

From Chris Morley

Your fifth grade album taste was pretty classy. As a British kid in the 50s and 60s I thought she was wonderfully sophisticated for performing to acclaim in French, Italian, Spanish and German as well as in her native English.
She's now almost 80 and still performing internationally.

On the iTunes UK store the album containing "What now my love", "Best of Downtown", is available. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/downtown-best-petula-clark/id418545021

You might like another classy Brit artist from the same period, Sandie Shaw. https://itunes.apple.com/nz/artist/sandie-shaw/id17545801