Thursday, October 22, 2015

A Magical Time and Place


No, I'm not talking about turning 50 tomorrow (although I hope that too will be magical in its own way!). Rather, I'm talking about the time my friend Pete (right) and I spent last Sunday afternoon on the bluffs of the Mississippi River, just below the University of St. Thomas.

In particular, we explored the deep wooded ravine that's been created by a spring-fed stream that flows into the river. As I hope these photos I share today show, our time in this special place truly was an experience tinged with a very special kind of magic.

And, yes, we "caught a glimpse of a god."




Above and below: Pete and I atop the Mississippi bluffs on the St. Paul side of the river. For many years I lived not far from this spot. I would often ride my bicycle down to this exact spot (see here, here, here and here). It was and is a favorite place of mine, and I was glad to be able to share it with Pete.





Above: Pete, standing by the stream as it flows into the Mississippi River. It's hard to believe we're in the heart of the Twin Cities, isn't it?









Above: At one point on its journey to the river, the spring-fed stream becomes a waterfall!



Above: By the spring, bubbling up from the earth through a carpet of autumn leaves.




See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
From the Falls to the River
Autumn Beauty
Autumn Leaves


No comments: